Introduction to School Readers for Parents
Starting school is an exciting time for children, filled with many new experiences. As a parent/carer it may be challenging to know the best ways to support your child while they are learning to read.
Raising Literacy Australia is pleased to offer Introduction to School Readers, a workshop for parents and carers to gain a better understanding of how to support their child during their first years at school.
What are Literacy Skills?
- What are some pre-literacy skills that are needed before children can learn to read
- What literacy skills are developing while your child is learning to read at school
What are Readers?
- The purpose of school Readers – what a Reader is and what it is not
- Overview of how teachers use Readers to assess reading progress
Hints and tips
- How to use Readers at home and maximize the time you spend supporting your child learning to read
- How to nurture a love of reading by including other reading materials (picture books, early chapter books, information books and magazines) alongside Readers
- When to seek support regarding your child, what to look out for and who to ask for help
Come along, ask questions and leave feeling confident with practical strategies and an understanding of how to support your child while they are learning to read at school.
“I feel inspired and have a lot of new ideas.”
“The workshop was fantastic. I loved seeing what books I can buy or borrow from the library for my son.”
“I didn’t know a thing about WHY it was important to read – now I know, I get it!”
raisingliteracy.org.au | thelittlebigbookclub.com.au