What is Occupational Therapy?
An Occupational Therapist provides support to children, young people and adults whose health or disability makes it hard for them to do the things they would like to do. OT’s can identify strengths and difficulties, help with solutions and help individuals participate in activities.
SOME AREAS OUR OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS CAN ASSIST WITH:
- Gross Motor Skills: Movements and actions that use larger muscle groups and body parts
- Fine Motor Skills: Movements and actions that use smaller muscles and body parts and often require precision
- Sensory Processing: How we receive and process information from our environment and react to this information
- Social Skills: Targets self-regulation skills to better manage social situations
- Daily Living and Functional Life Skills: The skills we utilise to physically care for ourselves, such as cooking and feeding ourselves, dressing, toileting, etc
- Sleep: Identifying barriers and challenges to maintaining healthy sleep and developing different strategies to increase sleep health
- Leisure or Play Skills: Works on meaningful activities, including leisure and play. We can work on many of the above goals through engaging in fun and motivating activities
What does Occupational Therapy at Hessel Group look like?
Our OT’s strive to assist individuals to live an independent and meaningful life. The first steps when starting therapy is to gather information about your needs and complete an individual assessment. This will assist in developing a personalised therapy plan that best meets your needs and works towards your goals.
THESE ASSESSMENTS WILL HELP US TO:
- Identify any strengths and areas the individual finds challenging
- What factors might be contributing to these challenges and how to minimise these
- Develop an individualised therapy plan to address these challenges and build skills
- Introduce and implement strategies with the individual and their support network
How long are sessions?
Therapy sessions are typically 1 hour in duration. Sessions can occur as frequently as required, but in most cases, this is either weekly or fortnightly.
People of all ages are eligible to have this service.
You may either choose to have these sessions in our clinic, the client’s home, educational facility or workplace.
- Emsie Deklerk
Senior Occupational Therapist
Looking for the price of this service? Download our service price list.